Commencement address of President Drew Faust

"Looking out from this stage, I’m not surprised that our gathering today includes what I’d imagine to be a record number of audience members who have not yet reached the age when even the most precocious of young people might enter college.

So, I want to say a special word of welcome not only to the members of the graduating Class of 2008 – but also to all of you who may someday be members of the Class of 2018, or 2019, or 2020.

It’s painful to admit, but however hard we might try, I’m afraid that Harvard would be hard pressed ever to measure up to the magic of Hogwarts.

We have our beautiful elms – but no whomping willows.

We have Veritas as our motto – but, though it might come in handy at times, we’ve had no luck concocting a veritas serum.

We have our great residential Houses, with their own storied traditions – but, I’m sad to say, no sorting hat to figure out who belongs where.

And, of course, we have a head of the school – but, I have to admit, someone who’s not quite a year into the job, who would not for a moment claim to have the wisdom, let alone the otherworldly powers, of the inimitable Albus Dumbledore.

Still, it falls to me as Muggle in Chief to say a few words about Harvard, before I turn over the podium to our featured speaker. As one of her many admirers here today, I want to thank her for reminding us that reading wonderful books may well be the closest we ever really come to experiencing true magic. J. K. Rowling, thank you for Harry Potter, and thank you for being with us." For complete speech click here

Comments